Friday, September 4, 2009

Salt Spring Island




I have lived here for ten years, and have yet to set foot on
one of the gulf islands. With a long weekend coming up, I decide to head over to
"Salt Spring Island"

Friday
finish work, pack bike
race to the ferries at Tsawwassen
I love biking, you are always moved to the front on the line.
Boarding I see it is one of the smaller ferries
I like these more than the large boats,
where one is entombed in it's great hull.



I chat with the other riders,
as we cross the "Georgia Straight"



This is a shot of "Active Pass"





We head up "Long Harbor"



From where we are droped off, it is a short ride to Ganges
the largest town on the is land.
I find a camp site just south of the town.
Unload my bike, and set up camp.



As I am setting up camp, I spot about 20 of these little birds



They are playing around at the next camp site.
It is hard totell from the photos, but the have a little fob
on their heads.
I find out later that they are
California Quail



The next day I ride back to the ferry
to see if my brother has made it on...
No luck, maybe the next one



In town I spot this transporter in lovely shape



Mmmm air cooled VWs





I go for coffee, and meet some of the locals
They are not very pleasant.
I think that maybe they are jaded from all the tourists that hit the island.

I hang around town till the farmers market starts up.
I wondered through the stalls, and found the prevailing feeling
to be the same as the coffee shop

By far the most the most interesting site, was this kid
using a magnifying glass, to burn letters on a piece of wood



I tired of town very quickly, and took off to explore the island



That was when I really started to have fun here

My bike



A close up

This is headed up to Mount Maxwell







From Here I ride to the south part of the island
Meet my brother getting off another ferry
then head for some food



This plane is right next to where we went to eat in the harbor
the beer was good, but we ordered the oster burgers.
When mine came, I took a bite
The flavor was alittle strong
as I chewed, the taste, and smell of my burger got too much,
and I spit it out.
There was an some brown shit oozing
from it, and it did smell like chicken shit :(
I sent mine back, and ordered a vegie buger
My brother, being funny
stuck his finger in the ooze
and waved it under my nose
God I hate him sometimes

As I rode around the island I came across
this little Suzuki



On the side it said
GO-FER 100



At camp with beers



After a night of using a sheep skin seat pad, as a sleeping pad :(

we headed to the north part of the island



Saw some dear
Then headed south
and had some beer

This is a shot of a Fulford Harbor

With a lovely shanty boat
Just waiting for me



Since my brother had brought his truck over,
I knew that we would have to be up veryearly
to get a spot on the ferry
How about 4am

I read the time table, and thought that there was a 6am ferry
but no, not till seven

so we sat at the terminal for a few hours
with no coffee at hand.

My brther had bought a pound of
"salt spring island coffee"
For my sister, and its aroama was almost
more than I could bare

Now on the ferry and headed home











Jeppedo on board




No comments: